Monday, August 25, 2008

Henderson Waves

After viewing the launch of the Southern Ridges on one of the variety show on channel U, I felt an inner voice telling me to visit those hills one fine day. Stretching across from Alexandra Road (Gillman area) to Telok Blangah Park and Mount Faber, there were three new linkways stretching 1.3 km long which range in height from three to 18 meters high.
This is the beginning point of the brigde when you reaches the top of Hort Park. The highest point is 36 meters above Henderson Road, Henderson Waves is the highest pedestrian bridge in Singapore. It was built to connect the two hills of Mount Faber and Telok Blangah Hill.
The bridge has a unique wave-form made up of seven undulating curved steel “ribs” that alternately rise over and under its deck. The curved “ribs” form alcoves that function as shelters with seats within.
Slats of yellow balau wood, an all-weather timber found in South-East Asia, are used in the decking. Look out for carvings on the slats marking the height you are at on various points along the bridge.
The wave-forms will be lit with attractive LED light from 7pm to 2am daily, giving the bridge an illuminative glow.
Finally, I had visited this bridge last Friday but sad to say I didn’t complete the bridge. I had to stop at the beginning point as I had height phobia. What a waste… the night scenery was really nice and good ambient to have a romantic dating there too.

Night view of north-eastern Singapore from Henderson Waves.

I promise myself I will pick up my courage to finish that whole bridge 1 day as it is really a spectacular view from Henderson Waves in spite of missing that night view on the 1st visit.

No comments: